Here is another one of Nonno’s quick and easy to prepare nutritious, delicious and simple meals.
For this Seafood dish, Nonno uses just a few key simple ingredients, tomatoes, tasty tuna, fresh basil, and spaghetti or fettuccini.
Preparation Time: Approximately 30 minutes Serves: 4
What you will need to prepare Nonno’s Yummy Pasta con Tonno (Nonno’s Pasta with Tuna):
• 1/3 a cup of virgin olive oil + 1 tablespoon (Nonno prefers Gallo)
• 2 cans (170 grams) of flaked Tuna, drained
• 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes (or you can cube fresh whole Roma or Cherry tomatoes)
• 1 lb. of spaghetti or fettuccini
• 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
• ¼ red onion finely minced
• 1 pound spaghetti or fettuccine (Nonno’s favorite is Italpasta)
• Two pinches of salt and a pinch or two of black pepper
• 4 leaves chopped fresh basil (or 1 tablespoon of dry basil flakes)
• (Optional) thinly sliced small red hot pepper (or a tablespoon of red hot pepper flakes), 1/8 cup grated Parmesan cheese, 1/3 a cup of white wine, like a good Pinot Grigio (keep the rest of the 750 ml. bottle in the fridge ready to drink with the meal).
How to prepare Nonno’s Quick, Easy and Yummy Pasta con Tonno (Nonno’s Pasta with Tuna) like Nonno does it:
1. In a large deep 12” or bigger skillet (need room for 1 lb. of pasta), pour 1/3 cup virgin olive oil.
2. Heat on medium heat and add finely minced garlic, red onion, basil (add the optional ingredients – 1/3 cup of white wine, red pepper or flakes) increase heat and simmer for 2 minutes then add the tomatoes, cook at medium heat for another 3 minutes
3. Add flaked tuna to the skillet and continue to cook at medium heat for another 20 to 25 minutes, turning frequently
4. In a large pot of boiling water, add the chosen pasta, a pinch of salt and add a teaspoon of virgin olive oil and cook the pasta per package instructions, check and take off the stove to drain when it is al dente.
5. Drain the pasta completely.
6. Toss the pasta into the skillet with tongs or large fork to evenly cover and coat with the tuna and other goodies and mix. (If you prefer, you can also put the drained pasta in a large bowl and pour the tuna mixture from the skillet over the pasta and mix it up)
7. Add 1/8 cup of Parmesan cheese and continue to toss.
8. Add the pinch of salt, pepper
Tutti al tavolo!
Dish out and serve and make sure that you have some extra Parmesan cheese, wine glasses and of course, the rest of the Pinot Grigio on the table to drink. Enjoy!
Please share and comment.