Nonno`s Knows Tomato Salad (Nonno`s Quick and Easy Insalata di Pomodoro)
With tomatoes now in full season, this is a simple, tasty tomato salad that you can enjoy with many different meals.
It is very easy to make, taking just a few minutes to prepare and using only a handful of ingredients.
Ingredients you will need to prepare Nonno`s Quick and Easy Insalata di Pomodoro (Tomato Salad) (for 4):
1. 4 Large ripened tomatoes – Early Girl or Beefsteak are Nonno`s favorite varieties. You can use other tomato varieties, even cherry tomatoes will also work – You will obviously need about two quarts of the smaller varieties)
2. ¼ cup of virgin olive oil
3. 2-3 cloves of garlic finely minced/pressed
4. ¼ cup of thinly sliced shallot or onion
5. 1 to 2 tablespoons of dry oregano flakes
6. 2 pinches of salt and a pinch of black pepper
Optional – You can thinly slice red hot pepper of your choice and add it to the mix.
* You can turn this it into a light meal by adding 300 grams of diced fresh mozzarella cheese.
Make sure that you have a loaf of good bread, Nonno`s favorite is the Calabrese loaf so you can dip in the leftover juices.
How to prepare Nonno`s Quick and Easy Insalata di Pomodoro (Tomato Salad) like Nanna does it:
1. Using a sharp chef’s knife or a serrated knife, slice the tomatoes in half, then cut them into triangular slices and place them into a large salad bowl.
2. Add the ¼ cup of virgin olive oil and mix well.
3. Finely mince the garlic (or put through a garlic press), thinly slice the ¼ shallot or onion and place both over the sliced tomatoes and mix well again.
4. Optional – Thinly slice a red hot pepper and add to the mix.
5. Slowly sprinkle on the dry oregano flakes while mixing.
6. Add 2 pinches of salt and the pinch of black pepper.
Serve after your meal and enjoy!
Please share and comment.
Coming up, Nonno`s easy way to Can tomatoes.
We welcome your feedback and comments. Leave them here or feel free to email us @ email@example.com