No meal is really complete without a tasty and healthy salad. A good fresh salad provides the health benefits of fresh vegetables and Nonno’s favorite has a splash of fruit.
Nonno makes variations of this very easy to make, tasty and delicious garden salad quite often, but, the original is a staple salad for Nanna and Nonno`s weekly family Pasta Sundays. There never seems to be any left over.
You can add take away or even additional ingredients to it if you choose. It is great with your favorite cheese, sliced carrots, walnuts, cranberries etc. The options are endless.
Preparation time is about 20 minutes
What you will need to make Nonno`s Signature Tossed Salad:
- 1 small head of Romaine Lettuce chopped (Nonno likes to use big pieces – Romaine lettuce hearts are good too)
- 1 cup of Baby Spinach chopped
- A few leaves of Boston lettuce (cut in big pieces like the Romaine)
- 1 Pomegranate (Nonno gets all the seeds out underwater by filling the sink with enough cold water to cover the Pomegranate, slicing the top and bottom off and quartering the Pomegranate underwater. He then uses a small colander to collect the seeds) Nanna showed Nonno how to do it.
- 1 small Belgian Endive cut in half lengthwise and then in 1/2“ pcs
- 1 small Radicchio chopped
- 1 /2 an English cucumber sliced
- 2 small Tomatoes cut into 8 pieces, and/or 10 to 12 Cherry or Grape Tomatoes cut in halves (How much tomato you use is dependant on how much you love the Tomato)
- 1/4 Red Onion thinly sliced
- 1 or two small ripe Avocados, diced
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons of Virgin Olive oil (we know that Nonno prefers Gallo)
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons of Balsamic Vinegar (Nonno likes the Costco Kirkland brand, not very Italian, but it is a really good rich Balsamic vinegar that rivals the more expensive Italian brands)
- Two or three pinches of Salt
- Two or three pinches of course Black Pepper
- A large salad bowl
How to Make Nonno’s Signature Tossed Garden Salad:
- Into a large salad bowl, slice all the ingredients above.
- Top with the Pomegranate seeds and the diced Avocado.
- Toss a few times to ensure it is mixed well. (Don`t let Nanna see you tossing, she prefers using tongs or large salad spoon and fork to mix it up.
- Add the Balsamic Vinegar. Toss and mix
- Add the Virgin Olive Oil. Toss and mix some more.
- Top with a few pinches of salt and black pepper do a few final tosses or mix with salad spoon and fork.
Thank you for visiting www.nonnoknowbest.com
Your feedback and ideas are always Welcome or you can email email@example.com
Please Like us on Facebook and Share.