Celebrating the great tomato!
Another one of Nonno Knows Quick, Easy to Prepare, simple, nutritious, delicious pasta dishes.
For this pasta dish, Nonno uses just a few simple ingredients, tomatoes, ground beef and pork, fresh basil, oregano (or Italian Spice) and spaghetti, fettuccini or penne pasta.
Total Preparation Time is approximately 30 minutes, Serves 4
• 1/3 a cup of virgin olive oil + 1 tablespoon (Nonno prefers Gallo)
• Mix ¼ lb. of lean ground pork and ¼ lb. of lean ground pork (meat lovers can double the amount, but it will take slightly longer to cook)
• 1 can (28 oz) stewed tomatoes pureed ( for extra sauce lovers, use more, up to double)
• 1 lb. of spaghetti, fettuccini or penne (Nonno’s favorite is Italpasta)
• 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
• ¼ red onion finely sliced
• 1 heaping tablespoon of dry oregano (or if you want a stronger Italian flavor use Italiano Spice instead (like Club House`s Signature Blends, Italiano)
• Two pinches of salt and a pinch or two of black pepper
• 4 leaves chopped fresh basil (or 1 tablespoon of dry basil flakes)
• (Optional if you like it spicy) thinly slice a small red-hot pepper (or a tablespoon of red-hot pepper flakes or chili peppers),1/3 a cup of red wine, (keep the rest of the 750 ml. bottle open on the table ready to drink with the meal).
• 1/8 cup grated Parmesan cheese.
How to Prepare Nonnoès favorite Quick and Easy Tasty Pasta con Carne (Meat PAsta) like Nonno does it:
1. In a large deep 12” or bigger skillet (need room for that 1 lb. of pasta), pour 1/3 cup virgin olive oil.
2. Heat on medium heat and add finely minced garlic, the sliced red onion, oregano or Italiano Spices, basil (add the optional ingredients if you choose to (1/3 cup of red wine, red pepper or flakes).
3. Simmer for about 2 minutes then add the ground meats.
4. Increase heat, stir constantly, cooking until the ground meat is almost cooked (about 10 minutes) then add pureed tomatoes, reducing heat to cook at medium heat for at least another 15 minutes and stir and monitor heat to ensure that it does not stick.
5. In a large pot of boiling water, add the chosen pasta, a pinch of salt and add a teaspoon of virgin olive oil and cook the pasta per package instructions, check and take off the stove to drain when it is al dente.
6. Drain the pasta completely.
7. Remove 1/2 cup of the meat sauce (Nanna likes to put it in a gravy dish and place it on the table to make it easy to add extra sauce when the pasta is dished out).
Toss the drained pasta into the skillet with tongs or large fork to evenly cover and coat with the meat sauce and other goodies and mix.
(If you prefer, you can also put the drained pasta in a large bowl and pour the meat sauce from the skillet over the pasta and mix it up).
8. Add 1/8 cup of Parmesan cheese and continue to toss.
9. Add the two pinches of salt and a pinch or two of black pepper.
Dish out and serve!
Make sure that you have some extra Parmesan cheese, wine glasses and of course, the rest of the red wine on the table to drink.
Tutti al tavolo! (Everyone to the table!)
Please leave or email us with feedback and comments